This photo above was taken just after sunrise on Hathaway Bay off of Sissabagama Lake near the town of Stone Lake.
Minnesota-born lawyer, Jeff, and his partner, Dean, enjoyed a successful and fashionable life in London. They shopped at Harvey Nichols, walked their dogs in Kensington Gardens, and vacationed in France and Tibet. Yet, they dreamed of a new life. One January, Jeff was promoted to a coveted position at his bank; but in the following March, he resigned. Jeff and Dean sold their house, packed the dogs, and moved to the sleepy resort town of Hayward, Wisconsin, where they acquired a nostalgic ice cream shop and rundown Victorian mansion.
Scoop: Notes from a Small Ice Cream Shop is the chronicle of Jeff and Dean’s first year in Hayward—how they are welcomed by a collection of colorful characters and how they are humbled by the challenges of operating both the ice cream shop and a bed and breakfast. It is also a story of Hayward and how the traditions and the stories of those who built the town helped our entrepreneurs adjust to the rhythm of life in their new home.
- 1/2 gallon mint chocolate chip ice cream, softened
- 1 regular size package of Oreo cookies
- 3 TB. melted butter
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 TB. Kahlua
- ½ cup heavy whip cream plus 1/3 cup (use it as liquid mixture do not whip it)
- 2 TB. butter
- Optional:use Andes Thin Mints for decoration-see picture for detail
- Remove ice cream from freezer and set aside to soften.
- In a food processor break 6-8 cookies in half at a time,finely crush in food processor.
- Place cookie crumbs in a large bowl. Stir in melted butter. Pat cookie mixture into a glass pan and freeze to firm crust about 30 minutes.
- Ganache frosting: Chop 1 cup chocolate chips in food processor. In a saucepan heat whip cream just to boiling point and then add cream in a slow stream into feed tube of the food processor. Add in 2 TB. softened butter and 1 TB. Kahlua, blend until smooth and set aside.
- After 30 minutes remove chilled crust from freezer and spread softened ice cream on top of cookie crust.
- Place dessert back into freezer for 15 minutes to firm it up.
- Pour cooled ganache icing over the top of the ice cream and return to freezer.
- Freeze dessert several hours before covering the pan with foil.
- Let dessert stand at room temperature about 10 minutes before cutting into squares.