A lovely novella, this story has sparked the creation of many community gardens and much discussion about diversity and community-building. This little book takes a positive look at what is possible in your own community.
A Mediterranean inspired quinoa salad with juicy tomatoes and cucumbers along with tangy red onions and salty kalamata olives and feta.
Options: Add other Mediterranean inspired ingredients like roasted red peppers, sun dried tomatoes, artichoke hearts or even avocados.
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup red and yellow grape tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup cucumber, sliced
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup feta, crumbled
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil or Tuscan Herb Olive Oil
- 1 tsp. Italian herbs
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring the quinoa and water to a boil, reduce the temperature to medium-low and simmer, covered, until the liquid has been absorbed, about 15 minutes (al dente) and let sit covered for 5 minutes before letting it cool.
- Add yogurt, olive oil, herbs, honey and minced garlic to blender. Pulse a few times to mix.
- Mix the quinoa, tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, olives, feta and chickpeas together. Toss with the dressing mixture, serve immediately.