Leftover mashed potatoes get a new lease on life thanks to these puffs! They're combined with eggs, sour cream, cheese and chives then baked in a cupcake pan until golden and crusty with creamy middles. They don't taste like leftovers. But if no leftovers-no problem make a batch of mashed potatoes the day before and then asemble the recipe next day.
These puffs make a great side for roasts, salmon and fish.
Recipe makes 8 and was adapted from cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.com
Mashed Potato PuffsIngredients:
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup sour cream, plus more for serving
- 1 heaping cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1 tsp. parsley flakes
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 3 cups mashed potatoes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease 8 - 9 of the wells of a non-stick cupcake pan.
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk the eggs, then whisk in the sour cream. Mix in both cheeses and the chives.
- Add in mashed potatoes, salt and pepper to taste and mix well.
- Spoon potato mixture into the cupcake wells just to the top or a little below.
- Bake 25 - 35 minutes until they pull away from the sides of the cup and are golden brown all over.
- Remove from oven and let them cool 5 minutes in pan. Turn them out onto a platter. Serve with sour cream.
Caramelize onions in half the time by adding a little baking soda.You can read the full explanation of how this works at Serious Eats.