When Mr. C and Mrs. S signed on for this trip they failed to tell me about the dangers lurking in the desert. Perhaps I should have paid more attention on day one when Mrs. S and I saw this sign at the rest stop.
In the six weeks I have been here I've yet to see a snake on my walks through the desert to the dog park, only desert rats and roadrunners. This past week two scary things have happened. But I want you to know I did my best to protect Mr.C
First a coyote came running out of the desert. It crossed the street right in front of us. I gave my bravest, loudest bark and that scared it right off. But yesterday was more than scary. I could barely get out a bark. I was sure Mr. C and I were in BIG trouble. We were on our usual walk on the desert path to the park. Out of nowhere came 8 and I mean 8 javelinas! We were definitely outnumbered. And they're just plain UGLY and HUGE. Mrs. S once took a picture of two sleeping at the desert museum but she was behind a fence.
Cook's notes: This cake is loaded with flavor and very moist. It is a very straightforward recipe and easy to put together. The frosting is so good you could just eat it right out of the bowl.
Recipe from lemontreedwelling.com
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup Baileys' Irish Cream
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/8 tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 TB. Baileys' Irish Cream (may need more to reach icing desired consistency)
- 1 TB. cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 325 and grease a loaf pan.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl beat butter about 30 seconds, gradually add in sugar and beat about 5 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add in eggs one at a time and mix well.
- In another bowl combine sour cream and Bailey's, stir well to mix.
- Alternate the flour mixture with the sour cream mixture and the butter mixture, beating after each addition just until combined.
- Bake 45 minutes or until center comes clean using a toothpick.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes and invert to a wire rack.
- Use a whisk and blend all ingredients until smooth
- Drizzle icing over cooled loaf or drizzle icing over each slice