Chocolate Lovers Move to the Dark Side with a sauce drizzled over your favorite ice cream or even over a cake slice or brownie. The sauce can be made in under 15 minutes and surpasses any store bought topping. It's the piece de resistance!
Bittersweet Chocolate Sauce
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup whole or 2% milk
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa sifted (Hersheys)
- 3 oz. unsweetened chocolate (bittersweet or semi-sweet)
- 4 TB. butter, cut in 8 pieces
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 TB Amaretto or Kahlua
- Heat milk, sugar, and salt in a saucepan over medium low heat, whisking gently until sugar has dissolved. and liquid starts to bubble around the edges, 5-6 minutes. Reduce heat to low and whisk in cocoa. Stir until smooth.
- Remove pan from heat and add in chocolate pieces. Let stand 3 minutes. Whisk until sauce is smooth and chocolate is fully incorporated. With heat off burner add pan back to stove and add in butter, vanilla and liquor. Whisk until smooth. Cool pan off heat before refrigerating.
- Sauce can be refrigerated covered up to a month, though I doubt it will last that long. Can be microwaved uncovered. To reheat only need abut 15 seconds on HIGH.
Recipe makes 1/4 cup and note all proportions are the same with the exception of salt.
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon dried minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- Combine ingredients: Spoon each of the spices into a small bowl, and stir together until well-combined.
- Store the everything bagel spice mix in a sealed container until you're ready to use.
- The creative possibilities are endless as suggested in November issue Food Network