A good day for soup.
- 1 TB. olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 TB. garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 lb. Italian sausage
- 1/3 cup each diced carrots, celery, sweet red pepper
- 1 cup zucchini diced
- 1-32 oz. container of chicken broth (low sodium and fat free)
- 2 fresh tomatoes diced and drained on a paper towel
- 1 can (14 oz. ) diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano
- 1 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
- 1- 2 cups torn spinach leaves (remove stems)
- 1- 9 oz. package fresh or frozen tortellini
- 1/4 -1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- In a soup pot brown sausage and drain off fat. Set meat aside on a paper towel.
- Heat 1 TB. olive oil and saute onions 3 minutes, add in garlic and saute 1 minute more.
- Add in zucchini, peppers, carrots, celery, tomatoes, spices, cooked meat, canned diced tomatoes, fresh tomatoes, broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add in tortellini and spinach leaves, cook uncovered about 10 minutes, until pasta is al dente.
- Stir in yogurt (I used Fage brand which is thicker than other Greek yogurt products)