Cook's notes: I love simple summer salads that use just a few ingredients and taste incredibly fresh. This corn, avocado and tomato salad is one of those dishes. There’s minimal preparation involved making it fast to put together. Sweet corn and ripe, juicy tomatoes are a summer vegetable and fruit made for each other. Yes, tomatoes scientifically are considered a fruit! They are summer in a bowl. Recipe serves 4.
Note: Since my tomato crop was demolished by ravenous deer, neighbors came to my rescue supplying me with their overabundance of produce. YEAH!!
- 2 cups cooked corn, fresh or frozen
- 2 cups diced tomatoes, a combination of red and yellow makes a nice contrast
- 1 cup red onions, diced
- 1 cup red pepper, diced
- 2 ripe Hass avocados, seeded, peeled and cubed
- Optional 2 cups diced zucchini
- Optional Cubed Mozzarella cheese or Mozzarella pearls
In a blender or a screw top jar combine:
- 4 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 cup slivered fresh basil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Taste test to balance flavors. Mix dressing, pour over salad or refrigerate dressing until serving.
- Grilling corn will give it a more smoky taste. Remove kernels from the cob with a sharp knife.
- Add corn, onions, tomatoes, avocados, peppers and toss the salad ingredients with dressing, Serve immediately.
Strawberry Watermelon and Tomato Salad with a Balsamic Vinaigrette
Zucchini Tomato Corn Pasta Salad with Chicken