A Taco Bar Party (Potluck) is an easy fun way to entertain. There's plenty of options to choose from with something to please everyone's palate. Guests are always eager to bring an item so I am listing some possible items below. It's all about choices.
Mini flour and Corn Tortillas (appetizer size)
Shredded Mexican 4 Cheeses (prepared package as a time saver)
Diced grape tomatoes
Guacamole Dip and Chips
Cooking tip: Mashing avocados can be a bit of a pain depending on their ripeness. But I found a little trick in my utensil drawer that does the job just right. I use my pastry blender. It keeps the avocados chunky and mashes super quick. Give it a try. The dip is best made the day it's served. Recipe inspiration is from Cathy I.
- 4 ripe avocados (they should be a little soft and outer shell darkish in color)
- 1 cup Roma tomatoes,. diced and drained on a paper towel
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 TB. lime juice
- 1/4 cup red onions, diced
- 2 TB. prepared chunky salsa mix
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Dash of Tabasco sauce or Worcestershire sauce
- Squirt of Sriracha
- Use a medium sized bowl and scoop out avocado mixture. Use a fork to mash avocados and blend rest of ingredients. Don't skip the sriracha as it gives the dip a good punch of flavor.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate several hours before serving.
Cowboy Caviar Salad (vegetable and gluten free)
The recipe serves 12-14 people with a little left over for another posting Beef Nachos. You can easily halve the recipe and was adapted from Food Network Magazine January/February 2019
- 1 TB. olive oil
- 1-/2 cups each onions, mini sweet red,yellow and orange peppers
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 lbs. lean ground beef
- 1- 9 oz. beef chorizo
- Salt and pepper
- 2 TB. tomato paste
- 2 TB. chili powder
- 1 tsp. each cumin and regular or smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp. each ground coriander and espresso powder (deepens the flavor)
- 2- 8 oz. cans tomato sauce
- 1 tsp. sugar (to balance the acidity)
- 1-1/2 cups water
- Heat olive oil and saute peppers, onions and garlic. Remove and set aside. In same pan brown ground beef and chorizo with salt and pepper. Crumble meat with a pastry cutter. Wipe pan clean.
- Add onion mixture back into fry pan with rest of ingredients. Mix well and cook on low uncovered 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- To reheat cover and cook on low.
- 6 shot glasses of plain ( no alcohol) margarita mix ( I like to use Jose Cuvero)
- 2 shot glasses of Tequila
- 1/2 shot glass Cointreau
- 1/2 shot glass Grand Marnier
- 1 tray of ice cubes
- In a blender crush ice cubes.
- Add rest of ingredients and blend till smooth.
- Dip rim of glass in lime juice and then into salt.
- Recipe serves 2-3