This 30 minute meal is less than 400 calories per serving. The recipe was quick to whip up, budget friendly and SO GOOD. Recipe adapted from damndelicious.net and serves 4 in medium sized bowls.
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 1 TB. olive oil
- 3/4 cup each minced onions, mini sweet red, yellow and orange peppers
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 3 TB. low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 TB. fish sauce
- 2- 1/2 TB. brown sugar
- 2 TB. lime juice
- 1-1/2 TB. hoisin sauce
- 1/2 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 handful of torn basil leaves
- Squirt or two of Sambel Oelek or Sriracha
- Optional crushed nuts
- Saute onions, peppers and garlic for 2 minutes. Cover and sweat 3 minutes more to soften. Set mixture aside.
- In a bowl whisk cornstarch and chicken broth and add to soy sauce, fish sauce, brown sugar, lime juice, hoisin sauce and sesame oil. Mix well and set aside.
- Cook meat until browned. Use a pastry cutter to crumble cooked meat.
- Add to the cooked chicken peppers, onions and garlic. Add in sauce and cook until thickened. Stir in basil leaves and cook until leaves wilted. Add in a squirt of hot sauce taste test before adding more.
- Cook jasmine rice to serve 4 following box directions. I used Minute Jasmine Rice that cooks in 5 minutes.
I may be the only one you've heard of who would bring their Asian/Thai supplies in a cooler all the way from Minnesota to Arizona so I wouldn't have to rebuy here.