it's perfect for half time snacking. Use ground turkey for a healthier option. Customize your dip by turning up the heat adjusting the amount of spices, type of salsa and how many chiles you add.
Recipe adapted from skinnytaste.com
- 1 pound ground turkey (Italian sausage works too)
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. each smoked paprika, garlic powder, chili powder
- 1 can refried beans
- 1 cup jarred salsa (I used Hatch Green Chile)
- 1 TB. green chiles, drained
- 1-1/2 cups reduced fat shredded Mexican 4 Cheeses, divided
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet coat with oil, add ground turkey and spices. Cook until browned. Crumble meat and wipe pan clean.
- Add in salsa, refried beans, half of the cheese and green chiles to meat and mix well.
- Place in a 9 x 9 greased baking dish and cover with rest of cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake 20 minutes. Uncover sprinkle more cheese if needed and bake 5 minutes more.
- Add toppings and serve.