Sweet Potato Tacos with Black Beans and all the TrimmingsA tasty vegetarian taco with a great blend of flavors and no one will even miss the meat. Loaded with roasted sweet potatoes, hearty black beans, and finished off with lime and honey-perfection for lunch or dinner.
Cook's Notes: Note in the photo above I left the toppings off on the right taco to give you a better idea of what the main ingredients will look like on the tortilla shell. I used corn tortillas but flour ones would work too, Another idea is make them smaller using the appetizer size (4 inches). Recipe makes 4 tacos and ingredients can easily be increased for more servings. It was adapted from cookingclassy.com
- 2 cups diced 1/2 inch cubes sweet potatoes
- 2 TB. olive oil, divided
- 1/2 tsp. each cumin, paprika, ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen yellow corn, thawed and drained
- 3 TB. honey
- 3 TB. fresh lime juice
- Optional 2 TB. chopped fresh cilantro
- Corn or flour tortillas
- Suggested toppings: sliced avocado, romaine lettuce, cotija or feta cheese, Brussels Sprout Slaw
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone liner.
- Mix spices in a small bowl. In another bowl place sweet potatoes, drizzle with 1 tablespoon of oil. Sprinkle with spices.
- Roast for 15 minutes or until fork tender. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat remaining 1 TB. olive oil over medium-high heat. Once hot, add onion and saute until caramelized (golden brown on edges and tender), about 3-4 minutes, adding in garlic during last 30 seconds of sauteing.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, add in drained black beans, corn, honey and lime juice. Heat until warmed through. Toss in roasted sweet potatoes and cilantro.
- Reduce oven heat to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with a clean piece of parchment paper and spread out 4 tortillas. Divide sweet potato and bean mixture among them.
- Bake 5 minutes.
Brussels Sprout Slaw
Mix the following:
- 1 cup shredded Brussels sprouts
- 1 cup purple cabbage
- 1 green onion sliced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 tsp. chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. ground cumin