HAPPY FEBRUARY 1
Garden Vegetable Rice with Black Beans
Cook's Notes: A recipe that stands on its own as a vegetarian meal. Brown rice can be substituted for yellow rice for a healthier option. More chicken broth may be needed the second day for reheating. Grilled chicken makes a nice pairing for the dish. Recipe serves 6
- 1 cup each fresh broccoli, carrots, cauliflower and frozen corn, thawed
- 4 cups cooked rice (I used 2 packages of Vigo Saffron Yellow Rice as when cooked equals 4 cups for 2 packages)
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained or kidney beans
- 1/2 jar 12 oz. roasted sweet red peppers, drained and chopped
- 1/3 cup diced green onions
- 1- 4 oz. can diced green chile peppers, drained and patted dry with a paper towel
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese or a package of Mexican Three Cheeses
- 1-1/4 cups chicken broth, low sodium
- Optional spices to kick up the heat ¼ tsp. cumin and 1/2 tsp. chile powder instead of 1 can green chile peppers
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a casserole dish.
- Cook rice as directed on package and set aside
- In a large bowl add vegetables, beans, onions, roasted red peppers, chile peppers cooked rice, 1 cup of the mixed cheeses and broth.
- Mix well and place in casserole dish and top with rest of mixed cheeses.
- Bake uncovered 15 minutes, uncover and cook 15 minutes more. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.