follow the link to 15 Easy Recipes to Make with a Can of Black Beans.
These recipes are all under 30 minutes to make including: chicken, beef, shrimp, sausage, vegetarian, and vegan ones.
I just happened to have a can of Fiesta Black Beans (highly recommend this can as quite flavorful) and Steamfresh Corn. I had no trouble developing this recipe, Vegetarian Southwestern Wrap as I did have rest of ingredients.
It's a wrap packed with nutrition containing black beans, spinach and peppers, adding in chicken as an option. Flatouts are a great alternative to flour tortillas with half the calories and half net carbs.
Hummus which comes in several flavors is an alternative to using a sour cream or cream cheese spread.
can be served two ways and makes 5 rolled wraps as shown in the second photo. Ingredients can easily be doubled for more.
Cooking Tip: I found rolling each half kept the filling in better but all in your own preference.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon each cumin and chili powder
- 1 large red pepper, diced or 1 cup roasted red pepper drained, patted dry and diced
- Optional 1 diced jalapeno
- 1 cup sweet onions, diced
- 3 minced garlic cloves or 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 cup frozen corn or Steam fresh canned corn
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups fresh spinach, stems removed and leaves torn
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese. Monterey Jack cheese or Pepper Jack Cheese
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Hummus or low fat sour cream mixed with blue cheese crumbles
- Flatouts or flour tortillas
- Optional 3 cups cooked cubed chicken pieces or shredded rotisserie chicken
- Saute peppers, onions, garlic in olive oil with spices . Add in corn, beans mix well and simmer on low heat a few minutes. Cooked chicken can be added in at this time if using. Add in spinach leaves, saute 1 minutes then cover pan and remove pan from heat.
- Spread hummus on flatout or flour tortilla. Add bean/corn mixture on half and roll other half over the mixture. Cut in half and reroll to a wrap.