Follow on Twitter

See on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest
Instagram Follow on Instagram

Thursday, April 11, 2013

April Snowstorm







Today I had to make my way through the April snowstorm to be at a funeral. I wanted you to know I stayed strong and wore a Spring outfit :) but I did wear boots.





Poetry tip of the day: The following is a list of the top contemporary poets from poets.org. Click on a poet to learn more about their life and work
1. Billy Collins
"The most popular poet in America," according to the New York Times

2. Nikki Giovanni
Grammy-nominated poet inspired by the civil rights and black power movements

3. Gary Soto
Award-winning Mexican American poet writing for adults and children

4. Charles Simic
Influential Serbian-American poet and former U.S. Poet Laureate

5. Elizabeth Alexander
Poet and scholar who read at President Obama's inauguration in 2009

6. Naomi Shihab Nye

7. Rita Dove

8. Mary Oliver

9. Kay Ryan

10. Adrienne Rich

11. John Ashbery

12. Yusef Komunyakaa

13. Mark Strand

14. Donald Hall

15. Louise Glück
Parmesan Potatoes au Gratin


serves 4-6
Ingredients:
  • 6 cups thinly sliced peeled red potatoes
  • 1-1/2 cups whipping cream
  • 1-1/2 cups half and half
  • 1 large garlic clove
  • 1 small diced onion
  • 1/3 cup flour
  • 2 TB. butter
  • 2 tsp. thyme
  • 3/4 tsp. salt
  • pepper
  • 1 tsp. parsley flakes
  • 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
  • 1-1/4 cups shredded Parmesan cheese 
  • 1/2 tsp. herbes de Provence
Directions:
  • Place half of peeled potatoes in a greased baking dish (oblong or rectangular one works the best)
  • In a bowl add spices, salt, pepper and cheeses
  • Saute in butter onion and garlic till browned
  • In a saucepan whisk flour with half and half and whipping cream-add in sauteed garlic and onion cook on medium heat till thick BUT  do not let boil
  • In baking dish sprinkle half of cheese mixture over peeled potatoes, add in rest of potatoes and rest of cheese mixture 
  • Carefully pour cream mixture over the top of potatoes
  • Grate more Parmesan cheese on top of cream mixture and sprinkle with 1/2 tp. herbes de Provence
  • Cover with foil and bake @ 350 35 minutes remove foil and cook 20 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender
I Have To Write A Poem For Class
By Jack Prelutsky

I have to write a poem for class
But don’t think I’ll succeed.
I know I don’t know all the words                      
That I am going to need.
I cannot quite imagine
How my poem’s supposed to be-
I’ve got a sinking feeling
I’m not good at poetry.

My poem must have a meter
And it also has to rhyme.
It’s due tomorrow morning…
How I wish I had more time!
I do not think I can write
A poem the way I should-
But look…this is a poem right here,
And it is pretty good. 
                                                                                       
                                                                               










No comments:

Post a Comment

Puff Pastry with Salmon, Radishes and Garlic Cream Cheese

Radishes and Smoked Salmon with Puff Pastry Cook's Notes : An easy puff pastry treat that's a great way to start your morning or ser...