Follow on Twitter

See on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest
Instagram Follow on Instagram

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Word Power

Maya Angelou April 4, 1928-
Happy Birthday
Life Doesn't Frighten Me
This poem expresses Maya Angelou's pride, spirit, fearlessness and determination. It was first published in her 1978 book And Still I Rise.

Shadows on the wall
Noises down the hall
Life doesn't frighten me at all
Bad dogs barking loud
Big ghosts in a cloud
Life doesn't frighten me at all.

Mean old Mother Goose
Lions on the loose
They don’t frighten me at all
Dragons breathing flame
On my counterpane
That doesn't frighten me at all.

I go boo
Make them shoo
I make fun
Way they run
I won’t cry
So they fly
I just smile
They go wild
Life doesn't frighten me at all.

Tough guys in a fight
All alone at night
Life doesn't frighten me at all.
Panthers in the park
Strangers in the dark
No, they don’t frighten me at all.

That new classroom where
Boys all pull my hair
Kissy little girls
With their hair in curls
They don’t frighten me at all.

Don’t show me frogs and snakes
And listen for my scream
If I’m afraid at all
It’s only in my dreams.

I've got a magic charm
That I keep up my sleeve,
I can walk the ocean floor
And never have to breathe.
Life doesn't frighten me at all
Not at all
Not at all.
Life doesn't frighten me at all.

Dr. Angelou’s life story is a tale of achievement over hardship just like the themes in some of her famous poems. In addition to being a poet she is an author, college professor, civil rights activist, memoirist, historian, filmmaker, public speaker and producer. Dr. Angelou's memoir I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings is one of her more well known works written in 1969. At President Bill Clinton's inauguration she recited a special poem titled “On The Pulse of Morning”. 
_____________________________________________
The World According to Bella
Here is a picture of me and Mulligan. I am on the left in case you couldn't figure it out.  Mr. C had just  picked Mulligan up for our "play date".  I am happy he can go to the dog park with us. I love to chase balls and play tug a war with him. Mulligan is so good at finding the candy man who walks everyday at the park. He always has treats for us in his pockets.  One of my new favorite things to do with Mulligan is splash through this little pond now that the snow has melted.  But Mrs. S makes such a fuss when I get home. She thinks I look like a mess.  
It has been two weeks since Mr. C and Mrs. S have returned. I am so ready for them to plan their next trip. I had just the best time at Mulligan's house. Already I am missing my TV time on the bed with the dog sitter and Mulligan. I am back to my old set of rules and routine which means its a NO-NO to be up on furniture. And Mrs. S does not think I need a pillow and 2 extra blankets at night.  I  tried to tell her I really liked that but I guess she didn't understand me.     
Mrs. S seems to be going a bit crazy on this poetry stuff just because its April. She even told me I could find one for you. Hope you like it.

My doggy likes to disco dance.
He boogies every night.
He dances in his doghouse
till the early morning light.

The other dogs come running
when they hear my doggy swing.
A few will play their instruments.
The others dance and sing.

They pair off with their partners
as their tails begin to wag.
They love to do the bunny hop,
the fox trot and the shag.

You'll see the doghouse rockin'
as a hundred dogs or more
all trip the light fantastic
on the doghouse disco floor.

At last, at dawn, they exit
in the early morning breeze,
and stop to sniff the fire hydrants,
bushes, lawns and trees.

I just don't understand it
for although it looks like fun.
I can't see how they fit inside
that doghouse built for one.
by Kenn Nesbitt

Love, Bella

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cowboy Country and Cowboy Baked Beans

  Cowboy Country   Hacienda de la Canoa Tour Canoa Ranch in Green Valley, AZ was a working cattle ranch from 1820 to the 1970s. At its peak,...