Follow on Twitter

See on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest
Instagram Follow on Instagram

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Onion, Cheese and Bacon Tart


Take A Poem Out To Lunch
"Adding a poem to lunch puts some poetry in your day and gives you something great to read while you eat."
from poets.org




From Song of The Open Road
by Walt Whitman
Afoot and light-hearted, I take to the open road,
Healthy, free, the world before me,
The long brown path before me leading wherever I chose.

Henceforth I ask not good fortune, I myself am good fortune,
Henceforth I whimper no more, postpone no more, need nothing,
Done with indoor complaints, libraries, querulous criticisms,
Strong and content, I travel the open road. 

The earth that is sufficient,
I do not want the constellations any nearer,
I know they are very well where they are,
I know they suffice for those who belong to them.

(Still here I carry my old delicious burdens,
I carry them men and women, I carry them with me wherever I go,
I swear it is impossible for me to get rid of them,
I am fill'd with them, and I will fill them in return.)

__________________________________________
Onion, Cheese and Bacon Tart
Cook's notes: The crust was blind baked just like the previous quiche recipe posted. For this recipe I used combination of cheddar cheese with Swiss cheese. I used a large 10-1/2 inch pan. If using a smaller pan cut back on eggs to one,egg yolks to one and whipping cream to one cup
This recipe was adapted from Bon Appetit Ocotober 2002
Ingredients:
  • Prepared pie crust dough
  • 4 slices of bacon
  • 1/2 diced sweet onion
  • 1-3/4 cup whipping cream
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 large egg yolks
  • optional diced green pepper
  • 1 tsp. dry mustard
  • 2 TB. parsley flakes
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 tsp. herbes de Provence
  • 1 cup Gruyere cheese or combination of cheddar and Swiss
Directions:
  • Fry bacon and set aside on a paper towel-crumble
  • In bacon grease saute onion and peppers till soft 5 minutes-drain on a paper towel
  • In blender add cream, eggs, yolks, mustard, parsley flakes
  • For crust roll out dough on loured surface and place in tart pan pressing dough to sides 
  • Line crust with foil and bake at 400 for 10 minutes
  • Remove foil and place foil strips around outside edge of tart pan and bake 4 minutes longer-set aside to cool slightly
  • Line bottom of crust with crumbled bacon, diced onions and shredded cheese
  • Carefully pour filling in the tart shell
  • Sprinkle  herbes de Provence over the top  
  • Bake until tart is puffed and filling is set 20-25 minutes
  • Let stand 15 minutes before serving-remove tart bottom from rim   



No comments:

Post a Comment

Croissant Strata with Sausage Filling and Monterey Cheese

"That is one good thing about this world... there are always sure to be more springs." -L.M.Montgomery, Anne of Avonlea Croissant ...