Follow on Twitter

See on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest
Instagram Follow on Instagram

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Curing Springtime Blues

The proof is in the picture. Spring has been lost. Winter has become endless. Do you think Mother Nature forgot about us? Are we doomed to this eternal state?  While these questions go unanswered one needs to figure out ways to cure what I call "Springtime Blues"
So first I'll start with humor
Next an up lifting poem that has a wonderful flow to it that just begs to be a chorale reading. 
  

Earth, What Will You Give Me?
by Beverly McLoughland
Earth, what will you give me
In summer
In summer.
Earth,what will you give me 
In summer 
Serene?

I'll give you my fields
Made of lilies,
Of lilies,
I'll give you my fields
Made of lilies
And green.

And what will you give me
In autumn,
In autumn
And what will you give me
In autumn
So bold?

I'll give you my leaves
Made of maple,
Of maple,
I'll give you my leaves 
Made of maple
And gold.

And what will you give me
In winter,
In winter,
What will you give me
In winter
So light?

I'll give you my stars
Made of crystal,
Of crystal,
I'll give you my stars
Made of crystal
And white.

And what will you give me
In springtime, 
In spring time,
And what will you give me 
In springtime 
So new?

I'll give you  my nests
Made of grasses,
Of grasses,
I'll give you my nests
Made of grasses
And blue.
   
Need more "springtime chasing blues" away ideas ? How about making this yummy tropical dessert?
 Pina Colada Icebox Pie
Cook's notes: These pies were named after the ice box that they were kept cool in. As there were no electricity or refrigerators, an ice box was used to store perishables in the summer. A farmer might have an ice box if he had access to an ice house, otherwise he probably didn't. The majority of Americans did not live in cities, they lived on farms, and many did not have electricity until World War II. Ice box pies became very popular especially those made with lemons.
This recipe was adapted from Southern Living March 2013
Ingredients:
  • 2 cups vanilla wafer cookie crumbs 
  • 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut 
  • 1/4 cup melted butter
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts,macadamia nuts or almonds
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 2 TB. cornstarch
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1-8 oz can crushed pineapple in juice
  • 1-8 oz. package of softened cream cheese
  • 1-1/2 cups cream of coconut
  • 2 large eggs
  • Optional 2 TB. added to whip cream topping
  • 1 cup whipping cream
  • garnish pineapple wedges or mint sprigs
Directions:
  • In Cuisinart crumble cookies, nuts, cinnamon, coconut flakes and butter.
  • Press into pie pan (very lightly greased) firmly crumbs on bottom and sides
  • Bake 350 10-12 minutes
  • Cool 30 minutes
  • In a saucepan stir sugar and cornstarch together and add in pineapple and juice
  • Cook till thick 2 minutes
  • Remove from heat and cool 20 minutes 
  • Beat cream cheese with 1 cup of cream of coconut add in eggs one at a time  and beat till blended-chill remaining 1/2 cup coconut cream
  • Spread cooled pineapple mixture on crust spoon cheese mixture over top smooth out and bake 350 for 30 minutes or until set 
  • Cool completely cover with wax paper and chill 4 hours
  • Beat whip cream and gradually add in 1/2 cup coconut cream-spread over pie 
Poetry tip of the day from poets.org
Put poetry in an unexpected place
Co-workers's desk
Meeting friend's for dinner? Bring poems
Leave a few poems on table in doctor or dentist's office, library, counter at gym, hair shop 
Depending on where you live traveling on mass transits 
Using colored chalk write poem on a sidewalk 

1 comment:

  1. I like this idea of chalking a poem onto the sidewalk. When the snow melts, I will do this. I live on a well walked sidewalk.

    ReplyDelete

Cowboy Country and Cowboy Baked Beans

  Cowboy Country   Hacienda de la Canoa Tour Canoa Ranch in Green Valley, AZ was a working cattle ranch from 1820 to the 1970s. At its peak,...