by Douglas Florian
Or so they say.
But winter lives
In her way.
She leaves her tracks,
She shows us signs:
Not brilliant blooms,
But webs of lines.
Not sprout or splash,
But silver gray.
In her own way.
- 6-8 frozen prepared all beef cocktail size meatballs (dinner size will work if other size not available but use fewer)
- 1 TB. oil
- 1/2 cup each celery, onions, carrots and mini red and yellow peppers
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 box (32 oz.) chicken broth low sodium
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp. parsley flakes
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1-1/2 cups refrigerated three cheese tortellini (I used a product Buitoni)
- 1 large handful of torn spinach leaves, stems removed
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook frozen meatballs on a baking sheet according to package directions, set aside on paper towels to drain.
- Heat oil in a fry pan. Saute celery, carrots, onions and peppers 3 minutes. Add in garlic and saute 2 more minutes. Cover and sweat mixture for 8 minutes on low.
- Add to the soup pot water, broth, spices and sauteed vegetables. Simmer for 20 minutes. Add in meatballs and cheese tortellini cook 4 minutes. Add in torn spinach leaves and cook until wilted.
- To serve grate Parmesan cheese over each bowl.